Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weekday Tortilla Soup

Ok, so you don't have to make this on a weekday only.  I make this soup whenever we need a meal that can sit on the back burner while life goes on.  If you're a Vegan or Vegetarian, make this with vegetable broth and add all the veggies you want after the blending process.  Black beans, corn, zucchini - you get the idea.

I love this soup because it's versatile.  I do believe that one of the biggest obstacles busy cooks have is missing ingredients.  Who wants to run to the store on their way home, let alone after they've parked the car and poured a glass of vino???  Not me, I can tell y'all that!

As long as you have canned tomatoes, the rest is up to you.  The next time your grocery store has canned tomatoes on sale, this recipe is why you should stock up.  I bought 5 cans for $6 at my store last week.  Don't have chicken cooked?  Buy a rotisserie, but please keep one thing in mind...blot the grease off.  I find supermarket rotisseries to be super oily.  Grease would ruin this meal, visually and gastronomically.

We top our soup with tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, and lime juice.  My hubby loves pickled jalapenos and when they're good, I add avocado.

And for those who like their tortilla soup chunky, please know I got my inspiration for this dish from the film, "Tortilla Soup" .  For me, this is a true Mexican soup, just as in the movie.  Simple, nourishing, and comforting.  I hope you all enjoy it as we do...


Weekday Tortilla Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced (or a jalapeno)
3-4 cloves of garlic, diced
1 tbsp. paprika (or smoked paprika)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ancho chili powder
32 oz. low-sodium natural chicken broth (large carton)
3 – 14 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (like Hunts or Muir Glen)
Small bunch chopped fresh cilantro, about 1/3 cup
1 flour tortilla, fajita or taco-sized
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded, about 3 cups





Preheat oven to 350.  Cook chicken breasts on baking sheet until no longer pink.  Let cool, then shred. 

Heat ½ tbsp. oil in stock pot and cook onion and pepper until soft, then add spices and garlic and cook for one additional minute. 


Add broth, tomatoes, and cilantro and cook for 30 minutes.  Tear tortilla into strips and cook until tortilla 
pieces are soft.






Take the soup and puree in a blender in small batches.  Return to pan and add shredded chicken.  Bring soup back to simmer and cook for 10-20 minutes.  



Ready to eat!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment