Sunday, January 29, 2012

Did Someone Say Cheese???

I like cheese, sure, but this recipe will stop any cheese lover in their tracks.  Take a peek...


I'm calling these easy and fast enchiladas, "quick death".  Yeah, they're fast, but if you eat too much, you'll be experiencing heart failure for sure.  There's 12 ounces of queso blanco in this dish, and that's 6 ounces more than I'm ok with.  So in other words, use whichever kind of cheese you prefer, and as much or as little as to meet your needs.  Also, please shred the cheese yourself if you can.  Many bags of shredded cheese have chemicals added to them to reduce moisture and prevent the cheese pieces from sticking together.  Does that sound like melt-y goodness to you???  Take five minutes and grate it yourself.  It'll be a good arm workout before you indulge in punishing your arteries.


Muerte Rápida Enchiladas


12 corn tortillas
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 small can of fire roasted diced chiles
1/4 teaspoon oregano
Several cracks of fresh black pepper
12 oz. Queso Blanco, shredded
2 cans of enchilada sauce, red or green


Preheat oven to 400.  Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil, preferably non-stick.  Add diced chiles, oregano, pepper, and half a can of enchilada sauce to chicken.  Add 2/3 of cheese to chicken mixture.


Fill each tortilla with just enough mixture in order to roll and not split the tortilla.  I did this with a few, we still ate them ;)  Fill entire dish with loaded tortillas that have been rolled up.


Pour remaining half can and the other full can of sauce over the top.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over the sauce.  Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling.  




Again, this is a great moment where having pre-cooked chicken breasts in the freezer makes dinner snappy and happy.  We enjoyed this with avocado crema, lime wedges, and pickled jalapenos.  

In favor of keeping my healthy heart, I plan on using no cheese in the filling next time and some feta cheese on top.  Gotta keep our tickers ticking!


2 comments:

  1. Yum, I love that this cooks up so fast if you have the chicken ready to go! Can wait to try it this week. I agree with you on the pre-shredded cheese. Disgusting! I put cheese shredding on my list of chores for the kids and they jump at the chance to do it! Now to find fire roasted chilies without going to the dreaded walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my chiles from the grocery store and Target. I bought a generic version of Ortega's diced fire roasted chiles, Lesley. I'm with you...avoid Wally World at all costs! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete