Monday, November 5, 2012

Lowcountry Suppertime

I know, it's been a while.

Sorry for the lack of posting, things have been a tad hectic here in our household.  That being said, it's time to get back to cooking.  I may change this blog to, "Duncan's Dinners", or make an additional blog, one that caters to feeding two people on a budget. Your input is appreciated!

In the meantime, let's get going on tonight's dinner.

I'm whipping up a lowcountry soup.  Roasted chicken breast, chicken andouille sausage, okra, corn, and file powder (pronounced "fee-lay" and should have an accent on the 'e').  This recipe is a variation on chicken and sausage gumbo.  I am not a huge fan of rice, so I've left that out and am serving this with a whole grain baguette.

The inspiration for this dish came from my upbringing in the great state of Georgia.  I miss it every day!


Since I cannot be there in person with my Georgia pals, I can be there in spirit and this meal has loads of sassy spirit!!  I used pre-cooked sausages, browning them to lend flavor to my soup pot.  The Cajun seasonings added were used sparingly, as to cut down on sodium. If you want to further cut down on sodium, find a salt-free Cajun mix (I was unable to) and use chicken broth instead of stock.

To stay thankful to my Carolina living, I'm serving Highland Brewing Company's St. Terese's Pale Ale to go along with the soup and French bread.  

So stay dry, warm, and nourished today!

April's Lowcountry Sizzle Soup

Serves:  A Bunch o' Folks

Ingredients:

1 pound chicken breast meat, roasted and shredded
(using the whole package will make it greasy and too spicy)
3 cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 carton chicken stock (like Swanson's Chicken STOCK, not broth)
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 cup frozen okra
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 tsp. file powder


Instructions:

Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in large stock pot.  Add sausages and brown on all sides.  Remove sausages and drain on paper towels, and once cooled, chop into bite-sized pieces.  Add celery/onion/pepper mixture and cover, sauteing for about 5 minutes or until soft.




Add canned tomatoes, stock, and 1/2 tsp. seasoning.  Simmer for 15 minutes, then if desired, lightly blend with an immersion blender.  



Add frozen okra and corn, as well as the sausage and shredded chicken.  Simmer for 15-30 minutes.  




Add 1/4 tsp. file powder.  Serve with your favorite sides, including a beer or sweet tea!  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment