Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Funky Chicken

We eat a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this house.  I find the only good way to buy them is in large packs, then either freeze them in multiple freezer bags or pre-cook them and then freeze them.

Today, I broke one of my cooking rules.  Never buy chicken on the fly.  No pun intended, seriously.  I had forgotten to defrost the chicken for dinner so I picked up some at my local Target, as it now sells groceries.  That was a mistake.  Their chicken pieces were kinda funky.

Not smelly, just, well, their chickens had tiny tah-tahs.  I was horrified!


Ok, so not that horrified, but surprised, nonetheless.  

So how in the world was I supposed to make stuffed chicken breasts when those chickens must have been stuffing their feathery bras???

Answer - I made them funky, that's how.

Whenever I've had stuffed chicken or pork, there's always been a little pocket slit into the sides of the chicken or chop, and then the cook stuffs that pocket with goodness.  Tonight, well, I practically filleted those things trying to make the pockets.  And it turned out better than I had anticipated.  Some of my instructions for stuffing will sound like plastic surgery, but I like having filling on both sides of the piece of chicken.

I don't claim to be all that talented when it comes to handling poultry and meat, so just go with it.

I'm serving this with homemade (and super easy) Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, but you can toss some lemon pepper or red wine salad dressing over the stuffed breasts before they go into the oven.  Throw in a tossed salad and a dinner roll and you've got one fabulous meal!

Chicken Stuffed with Prosciutto and Feta


Serves 4


Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 oz. Prosciutto (I took 1/3 of a 3 oz. package, about 3.5 slices)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
Several cracks fresh black pepper
2 tsp. EVOO




Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.  Rinse and pat chicken dry, then place in a large Ziploc bag.  Pound with a mallet or rolling pin, but not using much pressure, just to make the pieces fairly uniform.

Make filling by chopping the prosciutto and mixing with the feta.  Add basil and black pepper.





Taking a sharp knife, place one piece of chicken at a time on a cutting board (one that is skid-proof) and make an incision on both sides/edges of the breast.  Stuff each opening with 1 tbsp. of the mixture.  You should have enough filling to use 2 tbsp. per breast.


Place each completed breast on a cookie sheet lined with non-stick foil.  Drizzle each breast with 1/2 tsp. EVOO.  Sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper over.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Serve with April's Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment